Study in the UK from Lebanon – The Complete Guide for Lebanese Students
If you’re looking to obtain a degree in any discipline, you would most likely be looking to attend a top-rated university. This is a wise choice because although all degrees are similar, the institution and country acquired are always crucial to a potential employer.
As an international student from Lebanon, universities in the UK provide ample opportunity for the best education available. FOR A GOOD REASON, several UK universities rank amongst the best schools globally. They boast a wide variety of courses taught by industry experts, excellent facilities and set graduates up for a fruitful career.
So, if you’re considering applying for a postgraduate or undergraduate degree, there’s a lot you need to know. We have created this simple guide to help you quickly get admission to a university in the UK and make informed decisions, so keep reading.
Reasons to study in the UK from Lebanon
Every year, we receive 100s of Lebanese students looking for UK university agents in Beirut, Tripoli, Sidon, Tyre and other major cities in Lebanon, wanting to study in the UK. There are many reasons for Lebanese students to apply to a British university, all of which can’t be covered in a single post. But below, we will give you eight significant incentives to study in the UK for your degree:
- Conducive and welcoming culture: When moving to another country or continent, how comfortable the environment is should be a huge, determining factor. This is however not an issue with the UK as it is a very tolerant, multicultural country that accepts immigrants of all nations. There are people of almost every country living in the country presently, and with almost 500,000 international students choosing to study in the UK, you’re never alone.
- Opportunity to explore: The UK is located at the center of Europe; this is one of the major reasons why it is a cultural hub as it is easily accessible from all corners. Getting to mainland Europe from Britain is straightforward and relatively stress-free via train, plane, or sometimes, even motor vehicles. This allows international students to explore other parts of the continent, visit different locations, and enjoy new experiences.
- Shorter duration for obtaining degrees: A major factor that international students usually consider when applying for a degree is how long it will take to graduate. This is because no one wants to stay in school any longer than they have to. Undergraduate courses in the UK usually take about 3 years during the full study, while a master’s degree spans a single year. If you’re one of those worried about the duration or cost of extended education, then this is a huge plus for you.
- Higher education standards: The UK is well-known worldwide for providing a high standard of education in all its tiers of schooling. This seeps into the university sphere as tertiary institutions in the UK provide quality teaching, up-to-date curriculums, and top-quality facilities. Regularly inspected by the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency) for higher education, ensures that excellent standards in learning and research are maintained.
- The largest library in the world: The UK has always been a home for learning and research, with a specific focus on a well-stocked library. London boasts the largest library on the globe based on items made available, with over 170 million items contained in its catalog. This is a fascinating incentive for the bookworms out there, and also you can take your study to the famous ‘Reading Room’ if you enjoy the anonymity.
- Tourist attractions: There are a lot of sights to see in the UK, this makes it a major cultural attraction. Britain is immersed in history, from Stonehenge and Tower of London to Edinburgh Castle and the famous Buckingham Palace. There is so much exploring for you to do there, a great way to spend your spare time. There are also world-class music concert venues to visit like the Alexandra Palace and Symphony Hall.
- Great academic reputation: UK universities have a century-old history of providing high-quality education, leading the pack in academia and learning. With well-respected institutions like Oxford and Cambridge which have been around for almost 1000 years, its reputation is reflected even in the modern world. This is certainly why a massive 16% of the world’s top 100 universities are occupied by the UK.
- A broad variety of degrees available: A very high number of international students trooping into the UK to study for their various degrees. This is because UK universities offer a diverse range of degrees from Art and design to Business Management and Law. There are over 3,000 university degrees for prospective students to choose from, so you are spoilt for choice.
UK universities are one of the most coveted educational institutions globally, ensuring that they only accept Lebanese students who meet specific requirements. Prospective students from Lebanon have completed a minimum of 12 years of education as a prerequisite; other requirements include;
Entry-level requirements for Undergraduate students
- Baccalaureate / High School / A level
- Scores of English proficiency tests
- Statement of purpose
Entry-level requirements for Postgraduate students
- Bachelor Degree Certificate
- Academic Transcript (Mark Sheet)
- A detailed resume (CV)
- Two letters of recommendations
- English proficiency tests
- Statement of Purpose (SoP)
There are specific English language requirements for applicants outside the UK, i.e., international students who want to study at a British university. The minimum requirement for prospective students applying for a visa is evidence of a minimum level of English Language.
The UK Visa and Immigration Authority (UKVI) requires a (Common European Framework B2 level) document to accept their student visa application. However, Academic English entry requirements may vary depending on the institution and course of study, with some asking for above B2 level English proficiency.
When considering students who apply for entry to degree-level study or higher like undergraduate and postgraduate, there are several English proficiency tests accepted, including:
- Cambridge Advanced (CAE/C1 Advanced) and Cambridge Proficiency (CPE/C2)
- TOEFL iBT
- IELTS Academic (UKVI and non-UKVI versions)
- LanguageCert International ESOL (UKVI version)
- Trinity College London Integrated skills ISE-ISE II, ISE III, or ISE IV
- Pearson PTE Academic (UKVI and non-UKVI)
- TOEFL iBT special home edition
If prospective students have the qualification mentioned above, they can inquire with the school’s admission office to determine if their qualification is acceptable. Details required will be your scores, country, and the name, level, and date of qualification.
Fees & Fundings
The tuition fees are usually a top priority for prospective Lebanese students as they would like to attend a school they can afford. You will incur expenses during the registration process; it varies largely between schools as prices are different in different areas. Other factors like the course you plan to study and the length of the course will affect the cost of your tuition should you be given admission.
However, it is possible to protract what you’re to expect; the average school fees for an undergraduate degree are around £23,000. The minimum payment you should plan on paying is at least £8,000 per year, and depending on your preferred course of study; you may pay up to £38,000 per year. The course length would be much shorter for postgraduate students with smaller class sizes. The minimum fees you should plan on paying is at least £6,000 per year, and depending on your preferred course of study, you may pay up to £45,000 per year.
If you’re looking for ways to fund your tuition fees, there are a few ways besides scholarships that you can get funding. Most people don’t know that they can get funding from their home country, which means that you can contact your local government office in Lebanon or home-based companies looking to help young, bright minds gain further education.
Other good sources of funding include; private organizations, families, and international organizations like AMIDEAST, WHO, and the United Nations.
Lebanese students are always looking to fund their schooling, and scholarships are the most famous avenues. Although getting a scholarship isn’t exactly easy, you can stand out among the rest with the proper guidance and application package.
All scholarships vary in their eligibility requirements, with some focusing on your nation of origin while others request your TOEFL score. Getting a scholarship usually involves writing a proposal, pursuing a particular field, or simply completing an application form. A few scholarships were explicitly created to suit the needs of international students:
- Commonwealth Scholarships: It is a rich scheme of UK scholarships governed jointly by over 50 countries for international students. It is funded by the department for internal development and opens to every citizen of the commonwealth countries looking for a university degree.
- British council scholarships: This is an IELTS scholarship awarded by the British council for international students looking to pursue a bachelor’s or post-graduate degree. It is, however, a partial scholarship that ranges from £2,000 to £10,000 and is available to students of every country, including Lebanon.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship: Among the best UK universities and also in the world, the Cambridge university provides an appealing bursary scheme for international students. It provides full support for excellent students looking to study for their postgraduate course at the university.
- Top 20 Subjects for Lebanese students
- UK student visa fees for Lebanese students
- TLScontact visa centre in Beirut
- Why choosing UCUK?
British universities are highly sought after for various reasons, from the conducive learning environment, history to their updated teaching practices and facilities. If you’re looking to climb the corporate ladder and have the skills to thrive in your field, you shouldn’t go anywhere but the UK. As a Lebanese citizen, you will indeed find your fellow countrymen and women in each university as more students continue to come in every year.